Re: Europa-List: cockpit module alignment /control column

Subject: Re: Europa-List: cockpit module alignment /control column
From: Frans Veldman <frans@paardnatuurlijk.nl>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 17:03:12

Raimo Toivio wrote:
> Great!
>> Why not change the ratio of one the various levers in the aileron
>> system? Of course more aileron action with less stick movement will come
>> at the price of more force required to move the ailerons. But people
>> with big thighs have usually big muscles. ;-)
>
> Yes that was my idea in my earlier message. Just wonder how hard is it to do
practically.

If you can drill a new hole, you can do it. ;-)

>> Another idea is to arrange more space for your lower body, so you knees
>> get lower. This is what I did.
>
> This is a totally new idea for me. Simple, safe, cheap, fast to do and
> brilliant.
> I have *very* thick temper foam & leather seat cushions.
> To make them thinner could be a solution.

I found out that the height of the seat has not so much influence on the
position of your knees (and hence control stick movement), but the
distance between the seat back and neutral rudder pedals is of great
importance. Just 1 cm does wonders. I couldn't create much more space
for my back, so I worked on the other end; the rudder pedals.

> I have thought I have been alone w this problem but obviously did not.

Seems like the Europa was not designed with the Dutch and Scandinavian
people in mind, who tend to be somewhat taller than the rest of Europe.
The solution is not a high-top, but rather more leg space.

Frans