Re: Europa-List: Autopilot /Trio Avionics - Dynon

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Autopilot /Trio Avionics - Dynon
From: Paul Mitchell <pm@tecnam.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 09:59:09

Hi,
I have had both the wing leveller and altitude hold  installed in a Tecnam
Sierra connected to an Avmap 4 GPS. I had the standard altitude hold without
auto trim as the Sierra exhibits very little trim change during flight and
so did not go for the auto trim which is available if the aircraft has
electric trim fitted. The EZ 2 allows pre set climb or decent rates as well
and the EZ 3 does that but with the addition of it also levels off at a pre
set height.
Over the winter I have built another Sierra and have  installing the new
Trio Pro Pilot which uses the same servos but all incorporated in one head.
This is in fact the wing leveller and EZ3 in one case and is cheaper as a
package than the two separate units to the same spec. This will be connected
to a "Flymap GPS" but the Trio units  uses the standard NMEA 0183 signal
link that is common to most GPS. Pre made wiring harnesses are available if
required.
The Trio  does what it says on the box and will fly the aircraft better than
you can. As for service, it is superb. I stripped a gear in my first one
through clumsiness on my part while adjusting the clutch and they sent me a
whole new servo by return..
Paul Mitchell