RE: Europa-List: Skidded turn traffic pattern stall video

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Skidded turn traffic pattern stall video
From: James <jthursby@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 08:46:26

You are. It's when the nose comes up that you better watch out. The plane
will do some interesing things then. Make sure you have some spin training
and go try it out up above six or eight thousand feet. When I flew the
company planes I had wondered about this so on the urging of Clive Davidson
I took the mono out one day, climbed up high and proceded to manhandle it
around mock landing approaches to see it's (and my) limits. Full rudder
slips are a joy to see but if the windscreen isn't half or more full of
green you had better push it over. I found if you had the approach trimmed
hands off you were pushing a couple pounds of down elevator to maintain a
good/safe slip.  I also found that if you did try something stupid with the
bank angle or rudder goosing it to half throttle would hold off the stall to
a much higher angle and increase your margins. (remember your power on
stalls?)

  James T.