Re: Europa-List: Skidded turn traffic pattern stall video

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Skidded turn traffic pattern stall video
From: William Mills <william@wrmills.plus.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 06:11:46

Ron and All,
I can appreciate what happens in an uncoordinated turns when the A/C is
"skidding", i.e. bottom rudder, but I have always been led to believe (and
---From my personal experience), that a "slipping" turn, i.e. top rudder, is a
safe manoeuvre and a good way to lose height rapidly.  Also a straight side
slip, perhaps on finals to lose more height than flaps alone will generate,
i.e. crossed controls, is safe provided the nose is raised after the
controls are crossed and lowered before the controls are centred.  I was
instructed and have instructed these manoeuvres (in gliding) without any
problem and I have the belief that it is impossible to enter a spin from
crossed controls, because the inside wing is leading.  Has anyone else been
instructed or has instructed this as well, power or gliding?
Best wishes,
William