Re: Europa-List: Re: Battery solenoids

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Battery solenoids
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 14:51:01

Mark Burton a crit :

>Considering the principle of how the Rotax "regulator" operates (i.e. by
>shorting
out the generator coils when the output voltage exceeds a limit), it is a
possibility that having a permanent load of 1 or 2 amps is actually "kinder" to
the regulator because it helps stop the load dropping to the point where the
regulator actually starts "regulating". Maybe it's better to warm up the
solenoid
coil than warm the regulator innards.

Mark and all,

For what it's worth, the Rotax regulator doesn't work the way you state.
Actually, the more amps it delivers, the more it warms up. Hence the
problems encountered with too many amp-hungry goodies. In my opinion,
drawing 19 amps is very optimistic in anything but the coldest outside
temperatures. Something around 12 amps seems more conservative. Of
course, 1-2 amps won't do any harm, be the amp budget is so limited with
the continuous load of the electric fuel pump on the 914.

In the future, I'll publish a summary of the tests we conducted on the
Rotax alternator/regulator, with pictures, regulator schematics and
thermal investigations.

Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France