Re: Europa-List: Re: Battery solenoids

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Battery solenoids
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 22:31:20

Gilles Thesee wrote:

> According to measurements we took two years ago, it
appears the
> Rotax/Ducati heat dissipation is proportional to the
output. As you
> said, a shunt type regulator would dissipate much heat
whatever the load.

If the TO-220 case semiconductor pair are SCRs, then in that
circuit "abuse" would be proportional to load.  It still has
to shunt in proprtion to lighter load, but perhaps with less
abuse.  Maybe phase lag at the high freq of the many coils?
Anyway, it's not a series regulator, but appears to
dissipate heat like one, proprtional to load.  So, if all
true, it doesn't matter what it's called.  It's
regulator....which can get hot.  But that's not important
right now.  :-)   I mounted mine inside the cabin to help
matters.  Nice work on your site, BTW.

Reg,
Fred F.