RE: Europa-List: Carb heat mod

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Carb heat mod
From: Jeremy Davey <europaflyer3@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:42:21

Willie,

It's my understanding that carb icing is not a problem on Rotaxes
_with_heated_carbs_. I've certainly heard of problems on Rotaxes with no
carb heat. There are two ways I know of of doing this - one is sold over
here in the UK by the Rotax agents Skydrive and uses the engine coolant to
heat the carb body, the other uses electrical heating of the carb body (I
think a recent issue of Popular Flying had details).

Note that neither uses heating of the induction air! Hence there is no power
loss and they are usually permanently engaged.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Jeremy

Jeremy Davey
Europa Monowheel 537M G-EZZA
Europa Club Vice-Chairman, Webmaster, PFA NC Representative
PFA EC Member
"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, then it is
possible you haven't grasped the severity of the situation."
Tail done
Standard XS wings with mods underway
CM installed in fuse (with airbrakes fittings)
1430 build hours to date, build currently stalled due to house moves and
lack of workshop
Intended fit:
Rotax 914 turbo, Airmaster CS fully-feathering prop
Lots of lights, buttons, switches, gizmos, and alarms