Re: Europa-List: Carb heat mod

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Carb heat mod
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:57:25

Jeremy Davey wrote:

> It's my understanding that carb icing is not a problem
> on Rotaxes _with_heated_carbs_. I've certainly heard of
> problems on Rotaxes with no carb heat. There are two
> ways I know of of doing this - one is sold over here in
> the UK by the Rotax agents Skydrive and uses the engine
> coolant to heat the carb body, the other uses
> electrical heating of the carb body (I think a recent
> issue of Popular Flying had details).

The one in Popular Flying has not been approved as a Mod yet !

My 912S with the carb heaters still gave some symptoms of
carb ice when the water temperature wasn't high enough.

> Note that neither uses heating of the induction air!
> Hence there is no power loss and they are usually
> permanently engaged.

There is a third way. On the Polish AT3 visible at North
Weald, which I had some dealings with, the 912S has a full
carb air heat system installed along with a cabin heater
(using the exhaust silencer [muffler] warmth).
Now that I woud like on a brrrrr freezing day up there !

Richard
Tri-gear G-OWWW High Cross
WIth oil thermostat fitted waiting fro a flyable day to test !