RE: Europa-List: Carb heat mod

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Carb heat mod
From: willie harrison <willie.harrison@tinyonline.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:18:10

What experience does anyone else have of carb icing on Rotax powered
Europas? I had thought that the standard set up was supposed to be
largely immune but I encountered some serious icing yesterday. In the
cruise at 5,200 rpm, 5000 feet, outside air temp approx zero, in clear
air above broken cloud. First of all there was a steady loss of rpm to
4.800 at the same throttle setting and then when full power was applied
for 30 seconds there were two "kerthumps", presumably as the two carbs
lobbed their two ice cubes into the engine. Fuel is 100% avgas. Coolant
and oil were both running at approx 80C.

The only thing I can think of which is non standard with the way mine is
built is that the inlet air filter has been re-positioned to be directly
in line with the NACA inlet so there is no chance for the inlet air to
swirl around under the cowlings to pick up some heat. Has anyone else
heard of this mod?

What is anyone's experience with carb heaters on this engine?

Cheers

Willie Harrison

G-BZNY - now piling on the hours after some grim teething troubles....