Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 7 Msgs - 01/14/06

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 7 Msgs - 01/14/06
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 11:05:34

From: "William Daniell" <wdaniell@etb.net.co>
Subject: Europa-List: Wing skin separation HELP

I have made an error in construction in the interior of the wings and very
cleverly close then (with the error inside).
Will

Will
You have some work to do :-( . This is what I would do, but always get a second
opinion. (I am old and daft ;-)  according to some (my wife among em)
You need to heat the Redux to around 120 deg C to soften the Redux and ideally
it needs to be done quickly so that not too much heat gets to the rest of the
structure. It won't melt, it just goes soft. You need a hot knife to slip
between
the joint. Start at the trailing edge, look for any area where the bond isn't
prefect and atart there. Find a good quality table knife, one of the old
fashioned
thin springy ones that are perfect as spatulas, used to be made here
in Sheffield England. (I hate the modern clumsy stiff ones >:o )You might find
a Weller solder gun with a knife blade, failing that heat the knife then slip
it in and cut, reheat and do it again. Once you have a legnth apart slip a
wooden
wedge in to spring the skins apart but gently!!!
When you have the skin off, use a hot air gun on the reinforcement and use
similar
methods. You might be lucky and find you can pull the cloth off with pliers
and hot air. Failing that a sharp wood chisel lightly tapped between, again
with hot air but remember, each time you heat (post cure!) the new laminate gets
stronger.
best of luck
Graham