Europa-List: Electronic Tagging

Subject: Europa-List: Electronic Tagging
From: Brian and Pat Tarmar <freefolk@screaming.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 09:09:58

Having just read the last two days digests on this subject I am very surprised
that nobody on the right side of the pond has raised the "real" issue of mode
S transponders.  Most European states have already mandated the carriage of
these
expensive devices over the next five years for all flying machines, without
offering any of the advantages such as TIS (traffic information service) or
weather radar uplink as available in the US.  All we will get for our St2000 or
thereabouts is a ready method for the NATS cash register to generate "air
navigation"
bills when we fly from one farm strip to another.

While I fully understand that mode S has become necessary because of the
shortage
of A codes in controlled airspace (category A through C), why on earth are
we being forced down this expensive road when all we do is enter D airspace on
rare occasions (the ATSUs of which will have plenty of spare A codes available
once the big boys are on S) - It just has to be for the money!

Brian Tarmar
G-OBJT Trigear Classic Rotax 912S / Warpdrive
(no transponder)
35 hours and grin fully developed