RE: Europa-List: rear cylinders HOT on my 914

Subject: RE: Europa-List: rear cylinders HOT on my 914
From: Terry Seaver terrys <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 09:45:28

Hi Paul,

   We often see a 200 degF difference in EGT's, sometimes more than 250
degF when the throttle is closed in flight.  We attribute this to the
proximity of the front exhaust headers to the two inlets in the cowl.
Our engine instrument was set to alarm if min/max EGT difference was
greater than 250 degF, and we were getting alarms regularly on
reduced-power descents.
   Our cooling mods don't have much effect on the EGT spread,
front-to-rear, but were done to reduce the rather high temps (400-450
degF) in the lower cowl area, which was causing damage to various
components.  The mods also ended up reducing oil temps by about 20 degF
in the climb.

Regards.
Terry Seaver