Europa-List: rear cylinders HOT on my 914

Subject: Europa-List: rear cylinders HOT on my 914
From: Paul Boulet <possibletodo@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 20:19:53

Hi All;
I've put ten hours on my Europa to date and seem to be
getting pretty high EGT readings on the rear 2
cylinders- generally running 200-240 degrees hotter
than the front two.  I searched the archives to see if
this issue had been addressed before and can't seem to
find any info hence hoping others might give me some
insight.

Steve Hagar was kind enough to give me this info:
"For hot rear cylinders part of the fix is to
partially block off the gill vents on the  rear side
of the upper cowling.  The idea is to not have the air
rushing out those holes but down over the cylinders in
the rear and
out the bottom.  Along with that is to make a cover to
go over the top of the motor mount weldment at the
rear of the engine.  You want the air forced down over
the cylinders.  You don't want it to go to the back of
the
engine compartment and go rushing out the bottom
through that motor mount opening.  Dave Deford and
Terry Seaver up outside of Livermore have been through
this."

Any other thoughts/opinions appreciated.  By the way,
the day was a balmy 75 degrees F when I was test
flying.  Thanks!

Paul Boulet, N914PB, Malibu, California
"Have flown ten of the required 40 hours off in my
designated flight area"