RE: Europa-List: rear cylinders HOT on my 914

Subject: RE: Europa-List: rear cylinders HOT on my 914
From: Kingsley Hurst <hurstkr@growzone.com.au>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 17:15:48

Paul,

You said :-

> I've put ten hours on my Europa to date and seem to be
getting pretty high EGT readings on the rear 2
cylinders- generally running 200-240 degrees hotter
than the front two.

"For hot rear cylinders part of the fix is to
partially block off the gill vents on the  rear side
of the upper cowling.  The idea is to not have the air
rushing out those holes but down over the cylinders in
the rear and . . . . . ."

You have stated that your Exhaust Gas Temps are around 200-240 degrees
hotter on the rear two cylinders.  I assume the second paragraph "for
hot rear cylinders . . . " is referring to high CHT's.

To the best of my knowledge, alteration of the ducting will affect
Cylinder Head Temps and will have little or no affect on true EGT's.  A
difference in EGT's should mainly be due to differing mixture strengths
in the cylinders.

Having said this however, assuming all EGT's might in fact be the same,
maybe, the front exhaust pipes are cooled more by the air flow than the
rear ones , the EGT's reported are varied because of this leading you to
believe the actual EGT's are different.

As the boss of one of my sons used to say, do you get what I am getting
at ? ?

No doubt, others will correct me if I am wrong.

Regards
Kingsley in Oz.