Re: Europa-List: Autopilot

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Autopilot
From: JohnDHeykoop@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 09:55:44

alan_haynes@dsl.pipex.com writes:

> I have a copy of the approved PFA mod for the Navaid installation. However,
> I have chosen the Digitrak servo having been influenced by some of the
> e-mail strings over the last year or so. The servo looks well made but I
> haven't tested it yet. My intention is to install the digitrak servo by
> following the method approved for the Navaid. Has anyone in the UK done this
> already? Does this require a full PFA mod application?

Alan

The Digitrak installation does require formal PFA mod approval, but all you
need to do is to highlight the areas in which your installation will differ
---From the Navaid.
If you like, I could fax or email you copies of the two letters I wrote to
get my Digitrak
approved.

Even though I kept the size of the access holes in the seat the same as for
the
Navaid, but merely moved them forward a bit, the PFA did ask for a letter of
no
technical objection from Europa. Andy kindly provided this letter, but
pointed out that
the access holes would require reinforcement to at least the standard
described in the
Europa manual.  He also pointed out that there are 3 plies of glasscloth in
the thigh
support area.

Regards

John Heykoop
XS Mono G-JHKP. Cockpit module bonded in. Rudder pedals installed. Tailwheel
spring installed. Top clecoed on. Flap drive pins and wing fitting next.