Europa-List: FW: First Flight G-IANI

Subject: Europa-List: FW: First Flight G-IANI
From: G-IANI <giani@ntlworld.com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 08:16:12

Apologies if you got this already but my outgoing mail seems to be having a
problem at my ISP

Hi all - it's big smile time!

G-IANI (Kit 505, Trigear, 914, Airmaster 332, weight 910lbs) flew for the
first time at Blackbushe Airport at 13.45 on Thursday 20th May 2004.  In the
very capable hands of Pete Jeffers she performed two takeoffs and landings
with a total time of just under 1 hour.  Weather was high overcast, about 18
Celsius, fairly strong cross wind at times.

She flies nicely but may need just a touch of rudder trim.  She stalls
straight and level at the correct speeds with a nice little buffet before
the stall.  By pure luck the (factory option) stall warner seems to be set
perfectly.  Pitch trim is OK but could be a bit more positive (I will talk
to Andy).

Engine is smooth but static RPM at full throttle is lowish so the fine pitch
stop needs to be reduced just a little.  Ts &Ps are mostly OK but water
temperature is high in a full power climb (I believe this is normal at
first).

Everything seems to work but the radio (Apollo SL40) is annoying as we are
hearing too much hiss.  Hopefully this will be solved when I manage to
master its multiple digital settings.  Fortunately Pete is used to the Grand
Rapids EIS so I think we have mastered its digitals.

Build time was almost exactly three years and 2,200 person hours of workshop
time.  This includes everything including eight mods (four factory and four
own design including centre tunnel and moving the rudder pedals), building
the panel and wiring (my choice), final filling and painting (not my choice)
and upholstery (including debugging and documenting the Europa Kit).

My thanks go to Irene, my wife and co-builder, Raymond Beattie (my
brother-in-law) who has the filling and painting skills I cannot aspire to.
Many thanks also to all at the Europa Factory and the Europa Club committee,
members and e-mail contributors who have been a source of inspiration,
support and great knowledge.

When can I start on the next one?

Ian Rickard  #505 G-IANI  XS Trigear
1 hour total time