Re: Pitot-Static Head

Subject: Re: Pitot-Static Head
From: Andy Draper <andy@europaaircraft.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:35:45
Hi Paul,

The first examples of the static head were made using metal, but we found that
the burrs formed when drilling the small lateral holes were difficult to remove
without countersinking their edges.  This was something that Don Dykins was
not happy about so we went to plastic to avoid the problem of burr formation.
I agree that the plastic may not take hard knocks, but, due to the small size
of the head, even a metal one would not be that robust.  It would certainly cost
more, although not to an unafordable level.  The plastic heads cost less than
4 pounds sterling.

My advice, to any one becoming airbourne with an unreliable reading on the ASI,
is to fly using the aircraft the attitude with the horizon associated with using
the normal power settings.  You shouldn't be out by more than 10 percent of
your speed.  Perhaps a practice at altitude with a covered ASI, checking it
when you think that you are set up, would be a useful excersize.  You may forget
to connect the ASI on rigging one day.

Best regards
Andy

>>> "Paul McAllister" <paul.mcallister@qia.net> 11/23/02 03:36pm >>>
Hi all,

I found that the plastic construction of the tip to be pretty flimsy (mine
broke).  I was wondering if there wasn't any reason why it could be made of
metal?

Paul