Re: Pitot-Static Head

Subject: Re: Pitot-Static Head
From: Roger Mills <Roger.Mills@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 10:27:04
Paul,

I have experienced a static port tip  breaking off somewhere between DI
and take off - providing me with more than a little excitement in the
shortest ever flight I have made!  A fellow Europa owner at Gamston
found that his tip had also broken off at the shoulder and had dropped
onto the hangar floor below the wing overnight. They are a fragile item
and tend to snap off at the shoulder - IMHO they should be made from
metal but then that would be more costly (although who would argue about
a few pounds more for such a safety critical item?).

I took the precaution of inserting  a tightly fitting thin walled brass
tube (1/8" or 3/32"? - I can't remember - but available from a model
shop) down the core of the replacement - easily bonded in with Redux and
the static holes redrilled through the inner metal tube. This has worked
well for a couple of years now.

Roger Mills