Re: Aerobatics in Tris vs Monos

Subject: Re: Aerobatics in Tris vs Monos
From: Alan D Stewart <alan.stewart@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 22:23:11

I'm never surprised by findings like these.

I'm not sure whether it's instinct, or the straightforward consequence
of aerodynamic principles. It seems to me that the profile of most
Europas is pretty similar: XS, classic, monowheel, even tri-gear: They
are all pretty sleek and smooth, with low drag, high efficiency and not
too much excess power. It's not like they are covered with a myriad of
draggy protuberances which detract from their form and demand to be
'designed out' !

Is there really so much scope for performance variation ? Or is it all
down to understandable, wishful thinking on the part of proud owners ? I
now know the performance of my airplane, but it's been a long hard
effort to get there. The final results are within a knot or two of the
original figures for G-YURO, all these years ago.

In my imagination, given the efficient shape, power is the limiting
factor. Put in more, and you go faster (to a point; with rapidly
diminishing returns  !). Franky, I'd be really surprised if 10 knots
separated virtually all of them.

I have a clear memory of an hour long cross country, from the Midlands
to S.E.  England alongside an identical Europa with more that 20% more
horse power at its disposal than I had, and I can honestly report 'IMHO'
that he wasn't 'pulling away' !!

But what do I know, ehh ?

Alan