Re: Wing Filling

Subject: Re: Wing Filling
From: JW <xs191@home.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 18:41:57
A few years ago I was at the Copperstate Fly In in Arizona.  I was standing
under the wing of one of the large military aircraft and commented to the
airman standing there that the surface of the wing felt like 'smooth
sandpaper' (if you understand my description).  He commented that a rough
surface produced more speed.  He said something about a blanket of bubbles
of air producing an environment that resulted in less drag.  He compared it
to the hull of many speed boats, or off shore power boats.  They purposely
upset the flow to create bubbles of air between the water and the hull.
The result is more speed.  He said the same thing can occur on an airplane
wing.  It's boggled my mind ever since.