RE: Firewall

Subject: RE: Firewall
From: Graham Singleton <grasingleton@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 16:37:04
>I don't have experience with the motor glider but have close to 250
>landings under my belt in the the short wing version. Give me the mono
>wheel in a strong crosswind anytime. With experience, the monowheel can
>be put onto the ground quite comfortably in the quite blustery
>crosswind situations that we frequently encounter in New Zealand.

Tony,
I can't argue with that except say that the amount of experience is
critical. A group of Europas recently landed at Genoa Italy, 5 monos and a
couple of trikes. All coped with the 20 kt gusting crosswind. One thing
concentrated our minds as we approached pattern area, a jet on finals
specifically asked for confirmation that there were no ships in the
harbour. We realised afterwards that he was probably concerned about
hitting masts and things if he had to go round.

The important thing with any taildragger is to recognised an imminent
diversion the second it starts and correct it immediately. With the poor
vis over the nose good peripheral awareness is required.

Graham