Re: Firewall

Subject: Re: Firewall
From: J Moran <jmoran01@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 12:35:00

  >.Is the firewall material effective? How does it compare to a
stainless steel
  > firewall? Has anyone tested the material?

  My advisor had me test the firewall material with a butane torch,
using a scrap cut from the firewall during LG installation.  The
fiberfrax holds up pretty well to the torch -- of course the resin chars
but it doesn't support a flame.  I suspect a SS firewall might hold up
better in that it wouldn't char but the question always remains: how big
a fire for how long?

  Trying the same crude butane torch test on a scrap of regular
resin/glass shows that it will continue to burn after the torch is
removed...

  On an allied subject,  the automotive carpeting I used also supported
a flame in the torch test. However, "Flame Block"  from ACS works very
well to change the fabric characteristics so it won't support a flame.

  John       N44EU     Newtown, CT