Re: Seen the video, read the info pack, ...

Subject: Re: Seen the video, read the info pack, ...
From: Trevor Jenkins <tfj@apusapus.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 21:43:22

I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks. The natives seemed
friendly so I decided to show myself and declare what a bozo I am.
:-) Thanks to all those who have brought reality to my thinking,
including Graham Clarke <gemin@cix.compulink.co.uk>, Dave
<dbosomworth@meto.gov.uk> and Rowland & Wilma Carson
<rowil@gn.apc.org>.

> Heres the TRUE cost of a Europa !
> TOTAL COST #34,000
> ...Our Europa will have cost nearer the #45,000 mark.

I guessed at twice the cost price. Your completion cost is closer to
three. But then as they say of a Rolls Royce "If you have to ask how
much, you cannot afford it."  :-)

> Heightwise im 6' 3" and I seem to fit OK...

That's encouraging.

> though we do sit in it every day and pretend its finished!

:-)

> Tri Gear or Taildragger - If you want an easy (though not
> particularly exciting ) life then opt for the tri gear.

The tri-gear option does not appears to affect performance too much.
Based on my reading of the spec for both options.

> The taildragger Europa is not a beginners aircraft (whatever anyone
> says !) though with the right training you could make it.

When I realised that the prototype had a taildrag I also realised
that I would need to take a conversion course.

> Paradoxically, you have one advantage over the rest of us though in
> that you dont yet have much flying experience.

---From asking similar questions elsewhere about costs of flight
training your estimate of #45,000 could rise to at least #51,000 for
the total package. Though my reasons (wishes---pipe dreams?) for
doing all this should mean I qualify for tax-deductions under the
NVQ scheme on the flight training. By the way, if anyone here has
recently completed or is close to completing their PPL then I'd be
interested to hear about your flight school experiences. Whether it
was good or bad.

> I believe you could complete your PPL training on a taildragger
> type such as a Piper Cub and this would probably stand you in good
> stead for the (minimum) ten or so hours Europa conversion you would
> need to do.

Training on a taildragger appears to limit my choices of schools
drastically especially amongst those registered under the NVQ
scheme.

> There is of course no legal requirement for you to convert to the
> Europa but recent experience has shown that if you dont know how to
> handle this beast YOU WILL COME TO GRIEF !

To pinch someone elses slogan "I would not leave the ground without
it!"

> Sorry to sound so negative. ...

It was what I asked for and needed.

> Hopefully I havent put you off and if so, welcome to the fold!

Not yet. Thanks for being so candid. For now, I'll go back to
lurking.

Regards, Trevor.

--

"Real Men don't Read Instruction Manuals"
   Tim Allen, Home Improvement