Re: Seen the video, read the info pack, ...

Subject: Re: Seen the video, read the info pack, ...
From: CPattinson@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 15:12:01

In a message dated 9/16/96  7:27:23PM, you write:

>I've seen the Europa video and it all looks straight forward. ;-)
>I've read the information pack and it all looks straight forward. ;-)

Heres the TRUE cost of a Europa !

Airframe Kits #16500
Engine + Installation Kit #11200
Instruments from #3000 - less if second hand.
Paint & Upholstery #1500
Misc Items (tools/ permit/ testing etc) #1000
First Years Insurance #1500

TOTAL COST #34,000

FRIGHTENING, IS'NT IT !

Note, once you purchase the tail kit you are contractually obliged to
purchase the whole fuselage kit (but not the engine kit).

This is a very conservative estimate assuming you don't subcontract the
painting/ upholstery or Instrument Fitting. Our Europa will have cost nearer
the #45,000 mark.

Heightwise im 6' 3" and I seem to fit OK, or should I say I did in the demo
aircraft G-YURO since ours is'nt finished, though we do sit in it every day
and pretend its
finished !

Tri Gear or Taildragger - If you want an easy (though not particularly
exciting ) life then opt for the tri gear. The taildragger Europa is not a
beginners aircraft (whatever anyone says !) though with the right training
you could make it. Paradoxically, you have one advantage over the rest of us
though in that you dont yet have much flying experience. I believe you could
complete your PPL training on a taildragger type such as a Piper Cub and this
would probably stand you in good stead for the (minimum) ten or so hours
Europa conversion you would need to do. There is of course no legal
requirement for you to convert to the Europa but recent experience has shown
that if you dont know how to handle this beast YOU WILL COME TO GRIEF !

Sorry to sound so negative. Regardless though, the Europa is a wonderful
aircraft.
Hopefully I havent put you off and if so, welcome to the fold !

Carl Pattinson