Re: Europa-List: MT04 Engine Mounts

Subject: Re: Europa-List: MT04 Engine Mounts
From: Dpc <dpc@knightonweb.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 08:48:07

Hello Kelvin

I am one of those other Europa customers for the MT04 and have also seen, and
commented
to Europa, about this eccentricity.

Because they are quite squashy, once they are in place I dont think it makes any
real difference to the engine alignment as I think they largely even themselves
out across the four corners. There is also, of course, the vertical and sideways
alignment that can be controlled by the number of washers you put between
the spacers in the engine mount and the aircraft end of the frame. I have a
Classic and found that the washers have a very critical impact on how close the
fuel pump, and its spigots, get to the starboard radiator. Its all extremely
tight in there and one washers thickness can make all the difference!

However, although I wouldnt be so worried about the overall alignment, as youll
know, getting the mounts into place is not an easy task!

The biggest issue I found is that it was hard to ensure that the inside ring of
the rubber of the mounts remained fully engaged in the innermost hole of the
engine mounts from both sides. The mounts tended to want to pop out very easily
as they didnt sit comfortably or easily in the engine mount holes but only
stayed
there with some degree of  tension. This meant that the slightest degree
of sideways knock while inserting the bolts etc made them pop out. Just
tightening
up the bolts and hoping for the best risked snagging and distorting that
inner rubber ring and this is what had happened on one of the mounts I had
removed
so maybe this eccentricity has been going on for a while.

I did the job on my own but it would have been much easier with another pair of
hands to hold the rubbers properly in place while the bolts were inserted. It
might also help to hold the rubbers tightly in place in the frame with
insulating
tape while assembling and then remove the tape once the bolts are in.

Feel free to give me a call to discuss if youd like.

I finally have the whole engine back in, reconnected and have done initial
engine
runs. Now waiting for inspector before I can fly again.

Best regards
David Cripps
G-BWJH

> On 24 Jul 2023, at 08:35, Kelvin Weston <kelv@kdweston.co.uk> wrote:
>

> Hi All
>
> I recently purchased new MT04 engine mounts from Europa.
>
> However, on examination, I noticed that the bolt hole and the raised ring that
locates in the engine frame are not in the centre of the rubber mount.
> You might be able to see this in the picture.  My concern is they might result
in misalignment of the rear of the engine frame in relation to the landing gear
frame.

> Replacement of the mounts is not an easy task, so I have contacted both Europa
and the LAA for advice.

> Europa have informed me they are aware of this problem and are investigating
with the supplier.
> However, they have also stated that they have issued five sets in a similar
> condition
to other owners and as far as they are aware the non-concentricity of
the rubber mounts has not posed a problem.

> I would therefore be very interested to make contact with any owners that were
issued or have fitted these non-concentric mounts to discuss any problems
encountered.