RE: Europa-List: Re: Making an Europa pretty

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Making an Europa pretty
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2023 01:43:32

Chris,

PPG Omni is very popular here with the RV crowd in Central Florida.  It doesn't
hold up well to abuse in my opinion.  It is not really hard paint but goes on
easy and dries even.  It is also easy to touchup.
The local airplane resellers simply use the cheapest car paint they can find.
My long-time repair facility owner and friend calls them scratch and sniff jobs.
The leading edges on the wings are gone in 5-6 years. But they got the sale.
In stead of PPG on a repair once I used a paint called Autobahn.  It's German,
not expensive and I was impressed with its durability and how smooth it went
on for a guy I hired to reshoot the plane.  He liked shooting paint, but not
repairs.  I let him go, and now I wished I still had his number.  I would have
been flying months ago.  No matte what paint I use somebody always has a better
paint I should try.  Opinions are like butt holes, everybody's got one.

The plane is yours and the finish coat will never meet your standards but stand
back 5-10 feet and look.  If you only have a little overspray and occasional
orange peel, cut and buff the top of the wings/stabs to look nice and 90% of the
pilots will not notice any flaws.  I did the sides and top of the fuselage/cowl
so the vinyl would look and stick nice.  I then did the bottom of the wings
before putting on the speed kit.  When Imron dries completely, boy is it hard
to cut and buff.  I prefer to cut and buff Imron when it is only about 2-3
days old or the work load increases and then I get impatient and sand and push
a bit too hard and can bubble the paint.  Be patient.  Three coats of a high
solids paint is plenty of paint to cut and buff.

Keep it up.  She will fly even better with nice smooth (ish) paint.  Bugs and
dirt
will wipe right off.

Bud Yerly