Europa-List: Re: Making an Europa pretty

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Making an Europa pretty
From: n7188u <chmgarb@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 17:05:42

Hi 51,

Thanks for the info. So my take on all this: I spent nearly a month
experimenting
with setting, paint thickness, level of reduction, and many other factors.
Yes, I heard what the pros would say in the forums: "I can lay it down orange
peel free". But this is my conclusion, and I am not stupid or a total noob
spraying
paint: I think there are levels of orange peel and when pros say "orange
peel free" it is not really totally free of orange peel. Let's just say: "they
can get it pretty darn good and consistent but not totally OP free". Keep in
mind that laying it down and think on a horizontal flat surface is one thing
but try that on a vertical surface and then we will talk.

And I have also been told that if you want a prefect finish you better plan on
doing a "Cut and Buff". and as I mentioned previously, doing that with today's
paints and materials is not really that bad.

Am I going to do it, probably not. Am I tempted, yes. But I really think that at
the end I will probably not do it unless I am totally unhappy with the result
after flying the airplane as is for a few months and hear people say "it looks
amazing!" and then I wont do it :)

But one thing is for sure, a pro can do a much more consistent finish than I
can.
I am not a robot and the saying today is that you have to be a like a robot
to get a great consistent finish with todays paints. On the subject of being
a robot, I have been measuring paint quantity vs area and I can lay down the
paint
within 0.02ml/in^2 so I may not be a robot but I am being fairly consistent.

Something else to keep in mind is that I was told clears flow a little better
and
tend to look better than a pure white single stage like what I am shooting.

But my airplane is going to look good. Is it at the level of what I expected the
result to be given all the effort I put? No. But this is the best I can do and
I am sure it will look good. And I hope Bud is right and I gain a couple extra
knots or I am really going to be pi**d.

Chris

Read this topic online here: