Europa-List: Re: Filter on the fuel vent

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Filter on the fuel vent
From: rparigoris <rparigor@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 13:09:11

Hi Group

A few notes on Fuel Vents:
** I owned a 170 that had the flippy pitot and fuel vent covers. I had a dapper
wasp somehow get into the pitot and the airspeed was dead? Took a while to
figure
out just how. Then one day walking up to the bird when it was pretty darn
windy, noticed both the pitot and fuel vent flippy covers were opened because
of the wind! Again it was howling and it both were on top of high wing. Anyway
noticed a dapper wasp land and crawl into the fuel vent!! Took a few hours to
clean out a nest that she built. Even though there were 2 holes drilled on the
aft side of the fuel vent, it would not have helped. I suspect with the Europa
being a low wing and my fuel vent on the bottom of fuse, may need more wind
that on a high wing to open
** As Bud has, we mounted the fuel vent on our Mono on the bottom of the fuse.
we too have 2 holes drilled aft. We installed a flippy cover:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ah1S270Nwg9VgoFrWgK4zHNaHsxwUg?e=gGz1pO
You need to copy and paste full URL into browser to view
**  Am not a big fan of an aeroplane engine (or any other engine as a matter of
fact) that decides to play silent night when not commanded to do so. Have been
around enough to know that if you don't let air into a fuel tank and a vacuum
forms, fuel flow slows or stops. Thus we added a second fuel tank vent to our
Mono that vents inside the cockpit. If one were to do such a thing and just
have a opened tube, besides fumes getting into the cockpit, when you decide to
land turtle and can't get out, fuel can spill into cockpit. We installed a fuel
rated one way diaphragm valve (white with nipples) and in series a Brass fitting
with ball check valve. If you go inverted, the white diaphragm valve should
stop flow, but it's kind of important it doesn't leak, so if it were to leak,
the check valve should stop flow. We also installed a screen filter to keep
snakes out. Using a clear tube, you can blow into it and try sucking to verify
the one way diaphragm valve is working. To verify the Brass ball check valve
is working, by putting  a magnet near it and moving, if you hear the ball
jiggling,
chances are really really good it will function as designed. If the fuel
vent were to get clogged, it's true that pressure could build in the tank,
and I'm a lot happier to have some pressure in the tank, than a vacuum, just
over
the trees. Here's some pics:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ah1S270Nwg9VgoFsZ5At3nvRBSpDOQ?e=FKXQw4

Ron P.