RE: Europa-List: Re: Filter on the fuel vent

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Filter on the fuel vent
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 17:36:28

Alan,
The POH annual Europa Inspection requiring draining and flushing of the tank
should
suffice per the POH checklist I would think.  The fuel tank vent tube operation
and FOD clearance is an issue missed by many in their preflight and periodic
maintenance.
I personally went to an under-fuselage vent tube with hole under the belly that
is also drilled on the aft side as per the instructions to allow over-boarding
of the fuel when topped off and prevent a direct hit of a bug from completely
clogging the tube in flight.

IF gas pours out of the vent when topping off as I designed it,  it is therefore
checked as clear if the fuel drains out.

When parked, I simply cover the vent with a "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" banner cover
when hangered.  This is a pain if the aircraft is left tied down on the ramp
as the cover I have is not as tight as it should be and blows off easily.  It
is my own fault for not installing a 1/4-inch vinyl hose in the sleeve of the
cover for a firm grip.  Same problem with the pitot/static cover.  I must get
around to that!

Those with vents on the top are well advised to use a loop of 1/4 inch fuel or
vent line with a "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" flag attached in the center.  This loop
of fuel line simply caps both lines on the older by the book vent system
preventing
clogging.

See the articles on the Europa Club website for checklist ideas.  It is an
experimental
aircraft and frankly, as an experimental, some of us never stop experimenting
or finding ways to do things differently and sometimes better.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly