Re: Europa-List: Cockpit ventilation

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Cockpit ventilation
From: David Cripps <dpc@knightonweb.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 18:27:08

Arwel

I have a small sliding hatch in the D-panel in the baggage bay bulkhead that
does
exactly what you're suggesting. When this hatch is open, there is significantly
more draught flowing through the cockpit from the side vents. However, even
with it closed there seems to be enough leakage points in the cockpit (gaps
in door seals, throttle and finger brake lever slots, access hatch in tunnel
between seats to fuel selector valve etc) for there still to be plenty of ways
for air to flow out, at least for the flow you'd want at this time of year.

I find the bigger issue is that the side vents do not direct the incoming air
where
you really want it, and mainly freeze your knees! There has been mention
by others of some very nicely designed rotating/flap type vents which do direct
air well, but probably need to be installed instead of the standard side vents
at time of building (or at least it looks like it would be quite a rework job
to fit them as replacements for the current side vents).

This winter I am going to experiment with installing some kind of simple moulded
ducting on the inside of the fuselage (maybe even just velcroed onto the carpet
lining for ultimate modifiability) placed over the existing vents. This would
try to 'scoop up' the air from the vents and angle it upwards/inwards. Not
sure if anyone else has tried this but would be interested to hear if they have.

David

On 20/11/2022, 18:11, "arwel pritchard" <owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com