Europa-List: Re: What Did you do with your Europa this week 5/23-5/30

Subject: Europa-List: Re: What Did you do with your Europa this week 5/23-5/30
From: n7188u <chmgarb@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 12:46:57

Last couple of weekends the weather finally cooperated and I did a couple of
cross
countries and the airplane is behaving great.

Although I am certain my Europa is not the fastest it still impresses me how
fast
it is. I mostly fly with friends that have LSA airplanes and, despite me
cruising
at 5000 RPM, I have to depart several minutes before and still arrive several
minutes after. Impressive.

Last Monday I spent a few hours carefully dynamically balancing my prop. I
though
I was OK but after checking I found the vibration to be around 0.22 ips so
worked on getting it down. I was able to achieve 0.07 ips. A short test flight
showed incredible improvement (well, could it be just mental?). But better it
is!

I got my Dynavibe Classic balancer in a garage sale and now I have a lot more
friends
than I used to have before :). I made a few brackets for holding the sensors
and balancing the Rotax is easy (lots of points on the gearbox to attach
the sensors). I truly recommend that if one of these balancer can be bought
using
club funds it is certainly a great addition. The difference it makes is notable
and having it handy really helps as I have found it is worthwhile doing
a check once in a while.

And last, Thanks to Ron P. for sending me a lift built by Bob B. After some
minor
modifications I got it working. The only thing that was wrong was that the
standoff points that hold on to the LG shaft were a little short and would
contact
the LG arm as the airplane was lifted. I made new ones a little longer and
now perfect. I made then removeable to make it easier to slide the lift under
the cowling and then insert the lift standoffs. So any thanks to Ron and Bob.
I do need to paint it though as I want it to be pretty!

Anyway, my report for the week.
Chris

Read this topic online here:

Attachments: