Re: Europa-List: Cause of Engine stoppage

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Cause of Engine stoppage
From: davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2022 09:25:41
Fred,  I am sure you won't need telling but it is worth emphasising that
any safety critical switch ought to be positioned or surrounded by some
sort of guard so that it cannot be inadvertently switched off in flight.

      I came close to ending up in a similar fix about 15 years ago.
After a long flight I was over horizon to horizon forest in East Germany
approaching the Czech border when my bladder got to the uncomfortable
stage. I kept a pee bottle under the L. thigh support and having used
this and replaced it, I was horrified to find that all my electrical
instruments showed no signs of life. Since I was being propelled by a
914 with twin electrical pumps, this was worrying! Mind duly
concentrated, I did my usual start up checks of going anticlockwise
round the panel starting with master & alternator switches at bottom
left. Immediately apparent that both switches were off and I managed to
put them back on before the fuel in the carb bowls ran out (or so I
thought). I had clearly lassoed their rather long toggles with my
trouser bottom when lifting my left leg up to get at the pee bottle!

     Having confessed to this on Matronics at the time, I was put
straight by Andy Draper who pointed out that fuel pump no 1 gets its
power upstream of the alternator switch if correctly wired so does not
stop when master & alternator switches both turned off. But it was a
good illustration of one aspect of Sod's Law that if you are going to
have a foul up it is almost bound to happen at entirely the wrong
moment!.

    All best for repair of back and plane, David, GXSDJ