Re: Europa-List: Re: What did you do with your Europa 4/11 - 4/18

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: What did you do with your Europa 4/11 - 4/18
From: Pete Zut <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2022 12:08:47
Thanks Chris!

Indeed my Smart avionics balancer spectrums were identical to your attached
report.  Nice to see I'm not alone!  ....and I'm not going crazy ;-)

Question:  do you know if your old engine had experienced "case fretting"?

I checked my carb balance throughout the RPM/throttle range, and they are
indeed fine in the 4400-5600rpm and throttle ranges in question. Diaphragm
tensions also felt identical.  I did however replace the rubber carb
mounts, which would indeed change the resonant frequency of the carb
assemblies. I have tried moving the spring mounts further away on the tube,
adding tension...no difference.    Your suggestion however will prompt me
to try adding some mass to the airbox - to see if the resonance moves down
the rpm range..... sweet.  I was running out of things to try LOL.

 As my resonance only occurs at cruise speeds and loads and not in the
climbs, I was suspecting possible aero causes (as the three blade prop
pulses are also in that 80ishHz range) and instrumented the tail etc.  but
to no avail - nothing different than when I instrument the tunnel mount
points, so nothing is getting excited back there.  So I'm back to the
engine, or something on it going into resonance. I have already eliminated
the exhaust from the possibilities by springing and massing it with no
change.

I have obviously also looked for any hard interferences between the engine
and the airframe - none.

The mystery continues.....  but I hope messing with the airbox mass may
give me a clue.

Cheers and thx again!
PeteZ