RE: Europa-List: Re: Fuel coupling hoses at bottom of fuel tank

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Fuel coupling hoses at bottom of fuel tank
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 20:25:51

I've used marine RP1 style hose (normally comes as 1 1/4 - 4 inch but can be
found
at one inch)  works well without issue.  It is thicker than fuel line, doesn't
like to stretch, but works.
I have seen guys use marine fuel hose:  Trident 327 brand CE certified, SAE
J1527,
USCG type A2, ISO 7840 A2, ABYC H-24 & H-33 and it is available from 1-4 inches.
It is thinner and fuel safe.
I do not understand why the hose you were supplied would swell.  Sounds strange
for sure.

I don't use heater hose unless they are silicone due to the auto fuel tends to
attack the rubber, it stinks, and gets yucky soft after only a few years.  It
also starts to crack after only a few years when it dries out.
I don't use PTFE hose as like our tank, if you dry it out and flex it, it will
fail as it cracks.  It also does not slip over the bosses.  Too expensive and
doesn't fit.  I don't use it on oil lines as it gets brittle and breaks the
liner
then over time, just weeps out oil.  Nasty.

Look at your boss off the tank.  Smooth the rough areas off, check the fit of
the
appropriate FS metal fitting used, as we want the F09a/b to fit inside the
boss on the tank and have the flange flush as possible.
There is nothing wrong with Pro Seal around the inside and around the hose
contact
area.  The hose then is protected by the sealant, so it tends to last forever.
(Pro Seal is expensive, but there are acceptable substitutes sold by Aircraft
Spruce in smaller and cheaper quantities.)

Red stripe marine fuel tank filler hose (or exhaust hose even which has a blue
stripe)  has been a standard of mine for years.  Both the red and blue stripe
are thick and stiff.  The one inch fuel supply line made by Parker or Goodyear
is excellent but not common so I go to marine hose supply, this hose only an
1/8 inch thick and flexible but is delicate as the liner tears if the surface
is rough or forced over a lip.  As you said, it is not as thick and stiff which
is nice and the clamps fit. Locally Amazon Hose Supply sold me a foot of RP1
every few years...  All my fuel hose attachments are coated with a thin film
of Pro Seal or similar as well as the clamps.  I've never had a failure but I
had to go with larger hose clamps at times.  This hose lasts well over 5 years,
but I change it anyway.  The Sealant requires me to carefully cut the hose to
peel it off, but I plan for that.  Thin hose is easy to remove, thick heavily
reinforced tube are tougher.

You have many marine and hose supply dealers.  If you look at the supply house,
you will get what you need.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly