Europa-List: Re: Exhaust springs source?

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Exhaust springs source?
From: JonathanMilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 11:09:37

When I still had the Classic FWFWD installation with original exhaust, I also
experienced
2 x cracked clean off exhaust flanges. So I suspended the silencer
by means of 2 jubilee clips, one around each of #3 and #4 exhaust tubes ( I
think?
), close to where they enter the muffler box. Tucked under the clips were
short strips of steel bent into suitable hooks with one hole for a bolt in their
upper ends, which "peeped over" the top of the muffler and were bent about
45 degrees towards the crankcase.

I fashioned two small thick aluminium plates with 2 holes in each; one hole
large
enough for the bottom engine mount bolt which screws in to the crankcase and
another small hole for a bolt; same size as the bolt holes in the hooks. On
each side of the engine I used longish straps of steel ( 1/2 " wide, same as
used
for the hooks ), with a hole in each end of the straps.

So there you have it! On each side of the engine are 4 components weighing
almost
nothing. Aluminium plate fastened by the lower engine bolt, narrow steel strap
with bolt holes at each end, hook with hole in one end to attach to steel
strap and jubilee clip. Plus of course 2 bolts with stiff-nuts.

I continued to fly my Classic for another 3 or 4 years, with no further broken
flanges.

[quote="peterz@zutrasoft.com"]Thx Bud etal,

Nuther question:  Im repairing my second cracked clean off exhaust flange. :(.
Im surprised the heavy classic muffler is not suspended from the engine-side
frame.
Anyone else see these failures?

Cheers and thx!
PeteZ

>  On Nov 18, 2021, at 11:31 AM, Bud Yerly  wrote:
>

>  Look to motorcycle supply sources or shops.  The Classic and XS exhaust is
> prone
to exhaust spring resonance fatigue, corrosion, weakening and failure

Read this topic online here: