Re: Europa-List: Throttle cables with solid inner (piano wire)

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Throttle cables with solid inner (piano wire)
From: Pete <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 04:36:54
=EF=BB
Hi Kingsley,

Fwiw, my classic was using solids, in the original sheaths, and I found the f
riction to be very high and the action to be not smooth. The required bends w
ere too tight and ultimately resulted in a solid wire break from fatigue (lu
ckily it happened during run-up).

I decided to replace the solids and revert back to stranded using teflon-coa
ted bicycle brake cable and love it. Very smooth, and zero risk of fast thro
ttle action kinking. Im very happy that i changed back.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5023-566/1-5mm-Stainless-Steel-Teflon-Disc-Bra
ke-Cable?colour=NOC02&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiMj7qq356QIVgp6zCh0V3gjqEAQYAiAB
EgLEd_D_BwE

Cheers,
Pete

>> On Jun 11, 2020, at 12:49 AM, Kingsley Hurst <kingsnjan@westnet.com.au> w
rote:
> =EF=BB For those who have been there and done it . . . . . .  Piano wir
e vs stranded
> Did you replace the outer as well as the inner cables?
> What thickness is the required inner piano wire?
> Where do you obtain the piano wire?
> Did you use the existing fittings on the ends of the cables inside the thr
ottle box?  if so, how did you do the change over from the original stranded
 inner to the solid inner?