Europa-List: Re: Unimproved field flying with the Europa

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Unimproved field flying with the Europa
From: clivesutton <clive.maf@googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 00:40:44

On the Tri vs Mono point generally, i've owned a Tri and now a Mono and having
flown both have found the Tri to be a bit more versatile vs RWY surface (the
Mono
laps up grass).  Potentially the Tri can be at bit heavier wrt TO length (though
honestly there is such a wide variation in empty weights, that comment
is perhaps academic).

I too have found insurance to be very similar for the two types - so i consider
that a non-issue.

But sadly, [my opinion] the perceived issues with Mono handling can and
seemingly
do impact its resale value.  Again, my view - that said, anything less than
27k GBP in flying condition is probably a real bargain.

For the recently joined/enquirers on this site; it is entirely possible to
convert
a Mono to a TriGear (with a 30lb weight penalty/~5k parts cost). John Wighton
is also working on offering both the parts and i believe the installation
service, to convert (presumably either type) to a conventional Taildragger that
uses spring-steel legs.  His contact email is:
 Mods@theeuropaclub.org

Read this topic online here: