Europa-List: Re: Newbie questions

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Newbie questions
From: jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 07:32:04

Simon,

The advice to buy a partially built kit needs further consideration. I remember
---From many years ago (maybe no longer true) that your OUV is more strict than
our LAA, regarding making structures with fibreglass.

The OUV requires that every time you mix any amount of resin to apply to the
glass
cloth, you must dribble a small amount of the mix, about 6 or 8 cm long and
1 cm wide (my guess), onto a piece of cardboard and then allow it to cure hard,
together with the fibreglass job which used that same resin mix. Also you
should write on that cardboard the date and specify which job / component the
resin was used for. At some date thereafter the OUV will require to receive and
test for themselves the strength of your resin samples.

For the above reason, I would advise that if you decide buy a partially
completed
kit, you should buy it in Germany, or the OUV might refuse to accept that the
original builder has complied with their standards. This is a matter which
I suggest you should ask the OUV about, before purchasing.

My suggestion of 3000+ hours build time is too pessimistic, because I built an
early kit which was totally the opposite of QB. There were at least 1500 hours
build time needed for my wings, flaps and ailerons, but my mind has tried to
wipe out that nightmare. Hand-finishing the surfaces of those components took
about half of the total, which is not necessary for QB.

You really should get together with other German Europa pilots and builders, who
I'm sure will give you every possible support. If weight is important enough
to you, then keep in mind that the mono-wheel is almost 20 kg lighter than the
tri-gear and also that Rotax 914 turbo engines are maybe 8 kg heavier than Rotax
912.

Good hunting,
Jonathan

Read this topic online here: