Re: Europa-List: Rotax 912 Exhaust Spring Clip Faliure...

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rotax 912 Exhaust Spring Clip Faliure...
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 15:01:39
Just a note.
Following up on my last post on Exhaust Leaks.

Muffler and down pipe movement cause exhaust leaks, exhaust jets weaken the
 springs, and failures result.  This is especially true for the 912S and it
's exhaust system.

Over the last 10 years I have found spring failure on the exhaust is signif
icantly reduced by buying stainless springs that won't corrode, run safety
wire through the center to prevent FOD or dropped object or other interfere
nce from spring parts plus holds the exhaust on.  Also, I find coating one
side of the spring with a bead of silicone RTV reduces vibration harmonics.

CKT has changed their subcontractor as tooling marks were made on the sprin
gs causing premature failure which reduced failures significantly.  Karen s
hould have these springs in stock also.

Regards to all,

Bud Yerly,
Custom Flight Creations, Inc.