Re: Europa-List: Mod 60 Europa Fuel Gauge

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mod 60 Europa Fuel Gauge
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 07:45:57

On Oct 31, 2014, at 6:38 AM, RoddyEuropa@aol.com wrote:

> I mounted my float gauge just to the right of the pilot's headrest.
There was room for
> it to reach the bottom of the tank straight down. No regrets on this.
Has worked
> fine for 11 years but even with the more open access it's still very
fiddly to
> fit the flange. I had to change the gasket a couple of years ago.
How I wish I=92d been aware that this was possible when I installed
mine=85at the time, as I recall, there was a builder who claimed to have
succeeded in following the directions for a retrofit within the head
rest, but for the life of me I could never imagine how that was possible
nor can I imagine how any maintenance can be performed through the
inboard access hole if the gauge is located per build manual.

I am satisfied however that if necessary, using my trusty razor saw, I
will be able to remove, add flanges, and replace a portion of the head
rest sufficient to provide access without compromising the structural
integrity of the plate for the shoulder straps and the potential
compression loads in the event of a hard landing.

F.