Europa-List: RG393 coax

Subject: Europa-List: RG393 coax
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 16:46:50
All,

In my as-yet-non-airworthy Europa, I=92m about to replace the RG58 coax
originally installed for COM and XPNDR antennas. Both my newly purchased
COM and (mode =93S=94) XPNDR are part of the Dynon SkyView suite. Dynon
sez the RG58=85though perhaps adequate for the COM...will be very
unsatisfactory for the XPNDR, and the folks there refer me to =93Antenna
Cable=94, p. 230, (chap 11-p.12) in the SkyView installation guide where
various coax cables are considered.

(I cannot seem to include a link to the SkyView Installation Guide)

On p. 231, (chap.11-p.13) there is a chart which appears to state that
RG400 (M17/128) is fine IF its length is less than 8=92-4=94. I find
that this M17/128 is the spec. for the RG400 sold by suppliers like
Aircraft Spruce, SteinAir, and B & C.

The chart also lists an RG304 for lengths up to 12=926=94, and RG393 for
lengths up to 17=92-3=94.

There is also a link below the chart to manufacturer=92s data which is
more specific=85there is clearly a special realm reserved for coax
cables.

I=92ve located a source for the RG393 where I can buy a minimum of 100
feet at $6.89/ft=85and I=92m having trouble swallowing.

I=92m skeptical of the notion that SkyView customers are using coax
other than the widely available RG400 (M17-128), and I=92m VERY
reluctant to spring for this RG393. I do intend to replace ALL of my
RG58.

Can someone who has some keen knowledge on this subject give me some
guidance?

=85with appreciation,

Fred