Re: Europa-List: Re: Identification of parts

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Identification of parts
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 12:56:42
Thomas,
The part is a Jamar twin cylinder steering brake used in the US for some
time in trick cars or "drifting".
It is a good master cylinder for the Europa Trigear with hand (finger)
brakes.  We have little trouble with them.  It usually is the install
and bleeding techniques that cause trouble... I have clients with the
Jamar and have been trouble free for 10 years.  We change fluid about
every 3-5 years due to moisture concerns or discoloration in the
reservoir fluid.

Note:
Handles must be at least 9 inches long from the piston up for very easy
operation.
Bleeding this master cylinder is a bit of a pain.  It must be installed
so that it can be layed on its side to bleed.  The bleed hole is a
horizontally drilled hole so to bleed by pressure from the wheel, one
must lay the Jamar on its side with the bleeded side down and rock it to
assure a bubble free piston.
Originally these were shipped without the inside of the bores cleaned of
polishing fluid as it was assumed one would not operate the brakes
without reading the Jamar instructions and disassemble and clean them.
Unfortunately, Europa and others failed to include this instruction.  A
new rubber kit is only $30 US.
Jamar recomends bench bleeding.  I'm too lazy.
Works with any type fluid.  We recommend Dot 5 (silicone) or Mil 5606
hydraulic fluid.  Dot 5 doesn't stain paint or interior in most cases.
Mil 5606 is industry standard, but the red sticky fluid will stain
everything if left to sit.

See the attached bleeding guide and how we do park brake installs for
easier bleeding and operation...  We do a complete bleed in about 45
minutes for both sides.  If your brakes were installed permanently, then
I suggest you make sure you can service them.  In my opinion, nothing
should be built into an airplane you can't easily remove to service,
repair or replace.  Nothing.

Best Regards,
Bud Yerly
Custom Flight Creations, Inc.