Europa-List: Is bonding FL16 to fuse a bad idea?

Subject: Europa-List: Is bonding FL16 to fuse a bad idea?
From: rparigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 20:51:01

Hi Group

In the very near future I need to bond FL18P and FL18S to the bottom of my fuse.
These are the the two hinge brackets that get bolted to the fuse after you bond
in place with 4 fasteners.

When bonding these in place, you need to try and get them parallel to each
other,
parallel to the center-line of the fuse while making sure that the pivot holes
are aligned with both of your inboard flap hinges (W19s).

I'm thinking I will bond my two FL18P and FL18S to a piece of wood (like Fred
Klein
did) to keep them parallel to each other and in the same plain.

The thing is after you goop things up with Redux/flox and ready to bond into
position,
lefty/righty needs to be in proper position in relation to the flap cross
tube and the fore/aft and vertical needs to be in alignment with both the
starboard and port inboard center-line of the inboard W19 flap hinges.

I'm thinking pretty hard I want to bond both of my FL16s to my fuse with Bondo.
The FL16s are the hinge arms that get mounted to the flap cross tube with two
fasteners.

You see if these FL16s are temporarily bonded in position, once my FL18P + S are
temporarily bonded to a piece of wood, then I goop them up with Redux/flox,
set into position and I can insert actual pivot hardware between FL18P+ S and
FL16s to make sure pivot hole alignment is perfect with inboard W19 flap hinges.

Question:
Is a bad idea? Or is there an easier way?

I just turned two aluminium bushings that center sewing thread in the .1875 '
diameter
holes of W19s. Using a mini center drill and a finger pressure only drill
chuck, drilling the .0145" holes was a piece of cake.

Ron Parigoris

Read this topic online here: