Europa-List: Re: Flap Deployment Limit for an Electric Flap Aircraft

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Flap Deployment Limit for an Electric Flap Aircraft
From: rparigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 20:15:50

Hi Tony

I just took a look at the Tri final checklist and they state 27 degrees maximum
(same as monowheel).

If no one replies, if you read up on the old Europa Tech Talk, there is a blurb
that they flew with more than 27 degrees and aileron control was less than
stellar.
Mind you that is probably on a Classic, and I think the wingspan on a Classic
as well as the aileron length is smaller as compared to an XS (I have an
XS Monowwheel).

I think I read on the group a while back, I think perhaps it was in Africa (?)
a guy needed better short field performance and increased flap travel and was
somewhat happy with results?

For me, I am going to adjust things so I have enough extra travel so I get my
outriggers
down and locked easily, no more than 27 degrees. A little less is OK
by me (like 26).

Think about it, take off from grass, bumpy, gusty, get premature launched from
dip/gust, of course left cross wind, now right wing drops. Boy, bad situation,
leave ailerons semi neutral and step on left rudder and hard. If you throw in
a lot of left aileron, you will be increasing the angle of attack on the right
wing and may stall it.

Above scenario will be worst with 30 degrees than 26 degrees of flaps.

Fixed pitch 912, plenty heavy, flying off grass with a high density altitude is
going to be far worst than a light 914 off of pavement. I know that my 914 is
going to have the Turbo quit, when I'm heavy, flying off of grass, tire pressure
a bit low, when it's gusty and my Airmaster controller is going to command
a full course at the precise time when the Long Island Sea Breeze gives me a
stiff tailwind when I get prematurely launched during take off.

Forward slips do a pretty good job increasing drag, just don't raise nose too
high.

It's true you want to keep the Rotax at 1,800 RPM to make the gearbox happy if
you can, but in flight you are going to increase landing distance by a lot. Best
tweak engine so it's precisely balanced and happy with a low idle like 1,450
or even a tad bit lower, and only use that low setting during landing, then
when on the ground increase to minimum 1,800.

Above said, I read of someone putting foam to decrease gap during cruise between
the flap and wing. Off the cuff I would think that the foam would make a big
disruption to the airflow over the lead edge of the flaps when in the down
position,
he said he didn't notice much difference. Go figure.

Ron Parigoris

Read this topic online here: