Europa-List: Re: Fixing misaligned spar bush

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Fixing misaligned spar bush
From: rparigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 19:40:54

Hi Andrew

First thing is you want to make sure that you can mate both wings together and
pin them together with the spar pins. Distance and alignment are critical here.

Then you want to make the bushings on the cockpit module to match the spar pins.

Bay, you really want to make sure the spar bushings in the wing are stuck and
will
not change.

If you heated a pin the size of the spar bushings I'm pretty sure you could
soften
and perhaps realign. That said I would speak with Bud or Europa. If I had
to do it without guidance, I may remove the suspect bushing, really scuff sand
things good and Redux/flox in place.

Another thing I would look at is I have a set of glider wings. With the glider
wings you are supposed to match the wings to your bushings in the cockpit
module,
so the wings are not drilled for the spar holes. You drill and install the
spar bushings. The bushings I think are kinurled and look like they would take
very well to Redux/Floxing in place. I don't know if the dimensions are the
same as the short wing bushings and if they take better to bonding in p[lace,
but worth investigating.

Especially on my port wing, I have taken a rubber mallet and beat my port spar
pip pin into position, especially after rigging "too" many times in a day.
Normally
I use a deep socket that fits my port pip pin arm perfectly with a 3" extension
and use that to lever in place. I usually use carnuba wax to wax the pins.
Last time rigging I used a rubber mallet softly as my arm was pretty tired.
If the bushing was marginal held in place and let go, that for sure would be
a pain.

If you don't get an answer, I can take a picture with dimensions of the glider
wing spar bushing if you like.

Ron Parigoris

Read this topic online here: