Re: Europa-List: FW: Bing Carb Checks ----- FAA investigated fatal accid

Subject: Re: Europa-List: FW: Bing Carb Checks ----- FAA investigated fatal accident..
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 22:27:49

On 09/12/2010 07:32 PM, Guerner Remi wrote:

> The reason for two carbs on the Rotax is not redundancy but performance.
> I am pretty sure that if one carb fails completely on the Rotax, the
> engine runs so rough that you had better stop it immediately and land.

There is a solution to that:
http://www.flygas.info/en/kit-intake-manifold.html

This set replaces the balance tube between the carbs by a much larger
balance tube, so each carb can feed both halves of the engine. It also
doesn't matter much anymore if your carbs are balanced or not, you can
just loose a carb and the engine keeps running on 4 cylinders.

It also makes retrofitting fuel injection easier, as these inlet
manifolds have already the fuel injector bosses in them. You only have
to bore them out and tap a thread in them.
The new billet pump (see Rob Borgers reports) is capable of feeding an
injector system directly, as it can produce a sufficiently high
pressure. So all one need after that is four injectors and a universal
EFI-box. You keep the carbs, they are now just playing the role of
throttle body.
The nice thing with such a setup is that you can in flight switch
between carbs and EFI. So you keep the carbs as a backup.

I feel a project coming. ;-)

Frans