Re: Europa-List: FW: Bing Carb Checks ----- FAA investigated fatal accid

Subject: Re: Europa-List: FW: Bing Carb Checks ----- FAA investigated fatal accident..
From: Rehn <rehn@rockisland.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 10:19:19
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 12:20:45 -0700

Yeah, I was just trying to lighten things up a bit with that suggestion. But I
did own a Kitfox with a 912 that was set up with a design that could let the
carbs
shake loose and fall off the engine. They did come out with a fix. But I
had one fall of while flying over water (very exciting I might add) and the
engine
ran very rough but I kept enough power and kept it running to get it safely
to an airport. That's one of the reasons I love that engine it kept on going
with one carb, basically half an engine. I have nothing against Jabs but I do
like the two carbs. Fuel injection would be better!
Jerry

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 12, 2010, at 10:32 AM, Guerner Remi <air.guerner@orange.fr> wrote:

> Hi Jerry,
>
> <<<<<You must divide by two for the rotax not multiply, so half the
> problem>>>>>>
>
> The reason for two carbs on the Rotax is not redundancy but performance. I am
pretty sure that if one carb fails completely on the Rotax, the engine runs so
rough that you had better stop it immediately and land.  Therefore the
probability
of engine failure due to a carb problem on a Rotax is two times higher
than on a Jabiru.