Europa-List: Re: MG folding prop

Subject: Europa-List: Re: MG folding prop
From: rampil <ira.rampil@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 17:21:08

Hi Peter,

The 914 is a different kettle of fish when it comes to airstart because it
is a low compression engine (8.5:1 if I recall correctly) versus the 912S
which is 10.5:1.  The required force to spin the prop to 600 rpm where
the ignition modules start to park is thus greater in the 912S
system.  I was flying with John H the first time he shut-down the engine
in the 914 demonstrator and we battery restarted it.  At the time, he
was the one who told me the 912S would not airstart because the
unaided airflow would not spin the prop fast enough.  At the time he
had not ever shut down the 912S in the short wing demonstrator.

If a way to restart by air has been found as Terry says, that is a great
advance in my knowledge!

--------
Ira N224XS

Read this topic online here: