Re: Europa-List: Re: MG folding prop

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: MG folding prop
From: Peter Zutrauen <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 14:22:52
Hi Ira,

Maybe not the 912S, but the 914 can air-start  (as demonstrated to me by
John in Lakeland a few years back).

I guess I should have said 'heavier' instead of heavy.

I consider any prop system which has multiple possible failure modes (other
than the obvious throwing of a blade) which can result in loss of thrust (or
reverse thrust) to be 'complex'.   Personal opinion only, FWIW, YMMV, etc.
etc.

If I could get beyond the lack of a streamlined  spinner (prop folded out),
the passive, forward folding prop seems to be an eloquent engineering
solution for the long wings.... to me at least.

Cheers,
Pete
A239