RE: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Classic stall characteristics

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Classic stall characteristics
From: G-IANI <giani@ntlworld.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 12:07:43

As Carl has said many, if not most, Europas have a 1 degree error in the
turn ball.  This is because the bottom edge of the panel is at that angle to
the axis of the aircraft.  Europa designed it that way but forgot to explain
in the build manual.  Most people, me included, only noticed when the
aircraft had flown.

My aircraft (and G-IRON) are both XSs and have very benign stall
characteristics both straight and turning.  This was established with a lot
of testing needed for the new High top (Mod 64b).  If anything G-IRON would
drop the port wing slightly.  Initially neither aircraft needed or had stall
strips fitted.

During the testing we found that the aircraft are so well behaved it was
very difficult to know exactly when they stalled, they just developed a high
sink rate.  David Scouler, who did the testing, pointed out that stall
strips put the disturbed airflow over the tail plane making it far easier to
"feel" the stall.  So we tried it and it works well to indicate that the
stall is fully developed.

So do not assume that the presence of stall strips indicate that the
aircraft has bad habits.

Ian Rickard G-IANI XS Trigear, 200 hours
Europa Club Mods Rep (Trigear)
e-mail mods@europaclub.org.uk
   or direct g-iani@ntlworld.com